People travel to see the natural beauty and have adventures unique to that location. But how about learning something new while on your trip? What about going to a historical site, a museum, or a planetarium?
Do you have an interest in the universe? Would you like to discover more about astronomy? The Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, which opened in 1978, is open to the public in Brisbane.
The Planetarium, located in the Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mt Coot-tha, houses the Cosmic Skydome. Isn’t it a cool name? The skydome is a 12.5-metre-diameter projection dome where the Planetarium hosts a variety of entertaining and informative shows. You can also explore the Display Zone, observatory, Galaxy Gift Shop, and Sundial Courtyard.
Here are some of the programs available at Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium.
Cosmic Collisions: The documentary Cosmic Collisions delves into the destructive but spectacular explosion that ended the Age of the Dinosaurs while giving birth to new planets, stars, and galaxies. The collision also created conditions necessary for life to exist on Earth. The American Museum of Natural History created the video Robert Redford narrates.
- Dark Universe: Dark Universe, produced by the American Museum of Natural History and narrated by Neil deGrasse Tyson, explores two central cosmic mysteries: dark matter and dark energy. The program lasts about 50 minutes and includes a night sky tour and detailed scenes based on accurate scientific data. It contains a breathtaking plunge into Jupiter’s atmosphere by a NASA probe.
- Passport to the Universe: Passport to the Universe, narrated by Tom Hanks, transports viewers on an unforgettable journey through the universe. During this enthralling introduction to cosmology, you will travel beneath Saturn’s rings, glide through the heart of the Orion Nebula, and slide down into a black hole.
- Astronomy Live: Are you prepared to go into space? Astronomers from the Planetarium will take you on an exciting ‘live’ full-dome spaceflight. You can travel through the Solar System, past the most distant space probes, and even beyond the Milky Way galaxy. Each show is a new and unique adventure.
- Worlds Beyond Earth: Travel far beyond our planet to marvel at the most recent discoveries made by our cosmic neighbours. Lupita Nyong’o, the Academy Award winner, is the narrator.
All of these programs include the night sky tour that goes for 50 minutes. Additionally, these programs are not appropriate for children under six. However, there are shows at Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium suitable for all ages, such as Perfect Little Planet, The Little Star That Could, and Tycho to the Moon.
The Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium is open daily from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., except for public holidays. General admission to the Planetarium is free, but there are fees for Cosmic Skydome shows. Check the session times and ticket prices before you go. Seats are limited, so purchase your tickets online ahead of time. All shows begin on time, and no one is admitted after the theatre doors have closed.
Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium is in Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mount Coot-tha, one of Queensland’s premier subtropical botanic gardens. Before exploring the universe at the Sir Thomas Brisbane Planetarium, why not take a stroll through the 56-hectare botanic gardens first?
Brisbane Botanic Gardens Mount Coot-tha was established in 1970 and officially opened to the public in 1976. The garden is open daily from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. in the summer, from September to March, and from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. in the winter, from April to August. The gardens are free to enter, and there are a variety of events and workshops for both children and adults, as well as displays, exhibitions, and free guided walks you might want to participate in.
Plan Your Trip & Book Your Accommodation
Are you eager to learn more about astronomy while visiting the Brisbane Botanic Gardens? Plan your trip and reserve your family accommodation Brisbane as soon as possible. Hampton Court Apartments is the best place to stay.
Both the Brisbane CBD and Brisbane Airport are 15 minutes away. Hampton Court Apartments provides short-term apartment rentals at affordable rates for your next business trip or city break. You have the option of selecting one of the following.
- Superior Studio Apartment: This elegantly renovated Superior Studio Apartment features reverse-cycle air conditioning, an LCD TV, a desk/dining area, a microwave, toaster, mini-fridge, and tea and coffee making facilities. The Superior Studio Apartment has one Queen-sized bed and an ensuite bathroom. It is ideal for two guests, with a maximum occupancy of three.
- Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment: The Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment is ideal for families on vacation because it provides the comfort and space required. This air-conditioned apartment features a large open-plan layout and access to a furnished private balcony. There is also a living and dining area, a well-equipped kitchen, and laundry facilities in the apartment. The apartment features one Queen-sized bed and two King single beds for four guests, with a maximum occupancy of five.
- Superior Two-Bedroom Apartment: This air-conditioned Standard Two-Bedroom Apartment has a stylish renovated open-plan design and furnished private balcony. It includes a living and dining area and a fully equipped kitchen and laundry facilities. The apartment sleeps four guests in one Queen-sized bed and two King single beds, with a maximum occupancy of five.
Hampton Court guests can take advantage of their facilities in addition to comfortable lodging. The inviting outdoor swimming pool is a great place to relax and unwind. If you’re ready to get out and about in Brisbane, Hampton Court’s friendly reception staff will gladly assist you with car rental as well as a hassle-free restaurant, show, and attraction reservations.
Make your affordable reservation today! Book directly through the Hampton Court website.